Friday, June 09, 2006

Garden Project - 1

Tomato and Brinjal Seedlings

This is my first year into vegetable gardening. I started with some Indian brinjal and tomato seeds in paper cups in second week of April. Look what I found after 10 days...


Ideally each seed should be started in individual cups for easy planting and care. But I am a novice gardener and still learning a lot everyday. Speaking of learning, check this site for resources about how to grow and care for plants. It has separate galleries,forums for all the flowers and plants.

Three weeks later...

A month later...
I have planted them in containers around last week of May. They are all growing successfully.

Tomato plants in containers...
When you are planting, place the tomato seedling deep into the soil, clip-off the lower leaves and leave only the top leaves and branches. This will enable more roots to develope along the stem, speeding growth.

Brinjal plants in individual containers...

The green straws/stems are from methi greens. The stems act like mulch for the plants, saving these little ones from weeds and hot sun. I will update as it grows. Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did.

7 Comments:

Anonymous chicago said...

Hey Nila, i like ur tomato plant... look forward to see some tomatos soon...Thanks for ur gardening tips:)

Fri Jun 09, 08:11:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous sailaja said...

oh I love your vegetable garden..:)
I will also post pictures from my garden. With the monsoon setting in here this month, I am in the process of working on my garden and hope to document them online too..:)

Sat Jun 10, 01:59:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Krithika said...

Your plants look really good. I love gardening too. You have a nice blog here.

Sun Jun 11, 11:20:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Nila,
nice plants.
Hope to see your future garden overthere.
Vineela

Mon Jun 12, 02:05:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Inji Pennu said...

Hi Nila,
Since you love gardening,Welcoming you to participate in the Green Blog Project

Tue Jun 13, 02:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger n33ma said...

nice post ,learning so much about planting from all ur posts.nice pics.

Tue Oct 26, 08:07:00 PM EDT  
Blogger meemsnyc said...

I have no idea what Brinjal is. I just looked it up, eggplant! Cool, what type are these?

Fri Feb 10, 02:25:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home